Current released version: 2.0.1 (Mar. 2nd, 2003)
Copyright: Atsushi Iizuka
2. How to install
3. Limitations of trial use
4. How to get a license key and how to set it
5. How to play
This Cool Curling is a software that you can enjoy a winter sport Curling on your Palm. The unique feature
of curling is the concept of sweeping with brushes and brooms. In this Cool Curling, you sweep with your
Cool Curling has the following features:
- You can play against your Palm.
- Use stylus instead of brushes and brooms.
- In the training, there are two modes: Drill mode and Challenge mode.
- English/Japanese versions are included.
- Support Jog Dial for Sony CLIE / Jog Wheel for HandEra330.
- Support high-res bitmap for Palm OS 5.
Sample screen shots (Palm OS 5 High-Res):
Cool Curling requires PalmOS 3.1 or higher.
Please install only one of the following files depends on your device and language:
(Palm OS 4.x or earlier)
(Palm OS 5)
3. Limitations of trial use
This software is a shareware.
For unlimited use, please get a license key and input it at the register form. The limitations of trial use
- Reminder form will be opened when you start playing a game.
- There is no limitation for the first end. Since the second, Palm delivers the last two stones. Since the sixth,
Palm delivers the last four stones.
- The maximum level in challenge mode is 5. (25 levels for registered users)
4. How to get a license key and how to set it
If you find this program useful, please get a license key to turn off the limitations.
Go to the following web site and you will find how to get a license key.
|The registration form will be shown if you tap the "Register" button at the starting menu.
Please input not only digits but also dashes (-). You can back one column by tapping the '<-' button.
After you input your license key, confirm it and tap the "Register" button.
5-1. Game objective
Each player throws eight stones (totaled to sixteen stones) toward the target called "House" to make
the player's stone be closest to the center than the opponent's closest one. After all sixteen stones have been
thrown, player scores one point for each stone closest to the center of the target than the opponent's closest
Rules of Cool Curling are the followings. Note that some rules are different from the ones of real curling.
- A stone that does not clear the hog line shall be removed from play immediately. (Even if it has struck another
stone lying in play.)
- A stone which comes to rest beyond and lying clear of the back line shall be removed from play immediately.
- A stone which crosses over a side of screen wholly shall be removed from play immediately.
- A stone which crosses over the bottom of screen wholly shall be removed from play immediately.
- A stone that has not reached the top of screen in delivering may be returned to the delivering position and
- Only one player may sweep at one time. If the delivering player's choice is not to sweep and to hand a stylus
and the Palm device to the opponent player, the opponent player may sweep stone(s). (In the turn of computer (Palm),
you can't sweep.)
- A running stone, or stone(s) set in motion by a running stone, may be swept.
- In sweeping, the brush may touch stone(s). Sweeping can take place even on a stone.
Free Guard Zone (F.G.Z.) Rule
- F.G.Z. shall be the space between the hog line and tee line excluding the house.
- There are two kinds of the F.G.Z. rule: the 4-rock rule and the 3-rock rule (Canadian rule).
- In the 4-rock rule, any opposition rock in the F.G.Z. shall not be removed from play until the 5th stone of
- In the 3-rock rule, any rock in the F.G.Z. shall not be removed from play until the 4th stone of the End.
- The non-offending player may allow the play to stand or remove the stone just delivered from play and replace
the displaced stationary stones to its original position.
- Games shall be decided by a majority of shots and a player scores one shot for each stone nearer the tee than
any stone of the opposing player.
- In the training mode, a level is cleared if the player get score.
- The number of ends (1-10) must be decided at the beginning of the game.
- The player who wins an end plays first in the next end.
- Player can put a brush to indicate a target for delivery between the hog line and the back line.
5-3. Starting menu
The starting menu is opened when you start Cool Curling.
- Register ------ Opens the registration form.(*1)
- New game --- Opens the new game starting form (right-bottom).
- Continue ----- Continues the last game.(*2)
*1) This is shown only if it is an unregistered version.
*2) This does not appear if it is the first start or the last game finished completely.
Tapping on the "New game" button will bring you to the new game starting form (right-bottom).
Select the game mode at the left and tap the "Play" button.
- 1 Player ----- You can play against your Palm.
- 2 Players ---- Two players mode.
- Training ----- In this training mode, you can practice various situations.
Tap on the "Back" button to return to the first starting menu (right-top).
5-4. Screen layout
- The brush marker appears when a brush is set as a target.
- The mode and level are displayed instead of "End" and "Turn" if it is in the training mode.
|To throw a stone, grab the stone with the stylus (just pen down on the stone) and move forward slowly. Because
a stone is heavy, you can't accelerate it if you move your stylus too quick. Move slowly at the beginning and make
it getting fast gradually with considering the acceleration of the stone.
In the delivery motion (during the pen down on the stone), you can make the stone rotate by moving the stylus in
an arc as the followings or by pushing the hard buttons. (See the table in the section
5-9.) A rotating stone will curve to right or left during it is running.
The stone curves left
The stone runs straight
The stone curves right
|Sweeping increases the distance the stone travels.
To do sweeping, pen down near the edge of the stone and move the stylus right and left (up and down). The motion
shall be from side to side of the stone. The most effective speed is about 3 or 4 times per second.
Take care not to damage the screen.
5-7. Initial settings
Tap on the "New game" button in the starting menu, then select "1Player" or "2Players"
and tap on the "Play" button. You will find the Initial Settings form is opened.
- No. of Ends ---- Decides the number of ends in a game. It can be set from 1 to 10.
- First delivery --- Selects the first player. Tapping around the stone image to switch the player.
- F.G.Z. rule ----- Selects the Free Guard Zone rule.
5-8. Score board
|During a game, you can check the scores by tapping on Menu -> Game -> Score.
The preference form will be shown if you select Menu -> Options -> Preferences.
- Sound -------------- If it is checked, effective sound is played. The volume is determined by the Game Sound
in the Palm preferences.
- Smooth scroll ------- If it is checked, screen scroll becomes smooth. However, this makes the scroll slow.
Check this off for slow CPU devices.
- Old delivery method --- If it is checked, the delivery method becomes compatible with the prior versions.
- Key configuration --- Tap in the area enclosed by the dotted-lines, and the Key Configuration form will be
opened. Select "RIGHT" for right-handed player or "LEFT" for left-handed player and tap the
"Right-handed" or "left-handed" are decided depends on which hands you use the stylus.
Descriptions of functions assigned to the hard key.
||This makes a stone rotate - for a right-handed player, this makes a stone to rotate clockwise; for a left-handed
player, this makes a stone to rotate counter clock-wise.
||This makes a stone rotate - for a right-handed player, this makes a stone to rotate counter clock-wise; for a left
handed player, this makes a stone to rotate clockwise.
||Displays the house position. Before a delivery (the state of no stone is moving), to keep pressing the house view
key blinks the scoreable stones.
||Displays the delivered stone.
||Displays the current position statically.
||Displays between the hog line and the back line. It is only available before a delivery (the state of no stone
||This scrolls the screen up and down. If you use this scroll key during it is in dynamic view, it will change to
static view automatically.
||This abandons the delivered stone in the training mode.
5-10. Training mode and level selection
When you start the training mode or you tap on Menu -> Game -> Select level, the Training form will be
- Challenge ---- The mode in which you start from level 1 with three stones and challenge to clear each level.
The number of stone is incremented if you clear a level. The game is over when you have lost all stones.
- Drill --------- The mode in which you can practice a training pattern repeatedly. At first, you can only select
level 1. Levels you can select will be increased if you clear the higher levels in the challenge mode.
5-11. Challenge records
|Tap on Menu -> Game -> Challenge records to show the Challenge Records form. In this form, you can check
the try count, clear count and the clear average of each level.
5-12. Check about Cool Curling
|Tap on Menu -> Options -> About Cool Curling , and you can check information about Cool Curling.
5-13. Using Sony CLIE Jog Dial / HandEra330 Jog Wheel
Sony CLIE Jog Dial / HandEra330 Jog Wheel is available for the followings:
- Scroll screen up and down.
- Change view mode by clicking.
- Rotate the stone in delivering.
- Select training level.
Download the latest version:
Comments, requirements, bug report:
The author takes no responsibility for any adverse effect that this software could cause to your machine or
the data on it: backup important data before using Cool Curling.
Cool Curling is copyrighted software and remains the intellectual property of Atsushi Iizuka.
This archive is freely redistributable, provided it is made available only in its complete, unmodified form
with no additional files and for noncommercial purposes only. Any other use must have prior written authorization
from the author.
Ver. 1.0.0: Sep. 23rd, 2001
Ver. 1.0.1: Oct. 1st, 2001
- Bug fixed: When stones are erased near the back line, white squares remain a moment.
- Bug fixed: The screen may be drawn incorrect when it continues a game. It occurs in case that it quitted the
last game during a stone was running.
Ver. 1.1.0: Nov. 11th, 2001
- Added a cancel button to the Training Level Selection Form
- Memory conservation at runtime
- Support Jog Wheel for HandEra330
- Improvement of thinking logic
- Changed limitations for trial version
- Bug fixed: House is not shown. (Color version on Visor only)
Ver. 1.2.0: Aug. 31st, 2002
- Free guard zone rule
- Enable to check position of stones after an end
Ver. 2.0.0: Jan. 11th, 2003
- New delivery method
- The whole sheet view
- View-select buttons on the screen
- Support high-res bitmap for Palm OS 5
- Support grayscale
Ver. 2.0.1: Mar. 2nd, 2003
- Separated a PRC file for Palm OS 5
- Enabled to play on Tungsten T by resolving "lack of memory" problem